7214- COMMUNICATION OPERATORS
Call handler (emergency services),Communications operator,Control room operator (emergency services),Controller (taxi service)
Job holders in this unit group operate telecommunications equipment to transmit and receive signals and messages.
Academic qualifications may not be required. On-the-job training is provided.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 5
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 11.1
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- receives messages, weather reports and other material to transmit;
- tunes transmitter to required channel or wavelength and relays or receives message to/ from person or vehicle;
- uses a teleprinter or telex keyboard to transmit messages to other teleprinters or telexes;
- keeps record of messages sent and received;
- performs routine tests and maintenance on equipment and reports faults;
- receives and handles incoming calls for emergency services, transmitting to the appropriate services.
Similar O*NET Careers (USA) :
Source Of Info: