67-Health associate professionals not elsewhere classified
Health associate professionals not elsewhere classified
Interview, examine, administer, monitor, record and distribute health related information, therapeutic care and/or treatment associated with a patients injury, disorder, illness or other physical or mental health status, conducted in some instances under the supervision of relevant health associate professionals. It includes preparing, using and maintaining technology, equipment and instruments for a range of healthcare related activities, plans and procedures.
Health associate professionals not classified health associate professionals are included herein. For instance the group includes occupations such as HIV counsellor, family planning counsellor and other health associate professionals. Maybe required to be licensed, registered or certified to be permitted to work by a government authority, agency or approved certifying body.
Job activities and tasks include:
- interviewing and examining patients to obtain information on their health status and the nature and extent of injury, illness or other physical or mental health condition
- providing information and counselling to patients and families about certain health conditions, prevention and treatment options, treatment adherence, and personal behaviours that can affect health outcomes
- administering therapeutic care and treatment to patients
- performing certain basic clinical procedures, such as administration of HIV antibody tests or insertion of intrauterine devices
- dispensing and advising on dietary supplements, antiretroviral and prophylaxis medications, and other healthcare products
- monitoring patients? progress through treatment plans, and identifying signs and symptoms requiring referral to a medical doctor or other health professional
- recording information on patients? health status and responses to treatment in medical records-keeping systems
- sharing information with other health care providers when required to ensure continuing and comprehensive care
Higher specialized knowledge of principles, concepts and techniques in field of work, discipline and/or professional practice
Work in the public or private sector and may be required to work in an array of healthcare related places. May sometimes have to deal with unpleasant conditions due to a patient?s illness or injury. Adopting strict hygiene practices is important. Depending on their area of specialization they may have to work shift, long, demanding and/or irregular hours. This may include working on weekends and at night or being on call 24 hours a day.
Diploma/Associate degree in applied science for the specialist field of work/discipline, higher qualification or equivalent.
3 - 4 years and above.
SEHA, Sheikh Khalifa Medical City, NMC Hospital, Mubadala Health Care
Above the industry average
Examples of job titles:
Anaesthesia technician - Family planning counsellor - HIV counsellor - Respiratory therapy technician - Chiropractor - Osteopath
Examples of some related occupations:
Orthoptist - Clinical orthoptist
- Respiratory Therapists
- Cardiovascular Technologists and Technicians
- Dietetic Technicians
- Psychiatric Technicians
- Respiratory Therapy Technicians
- Health Technologists and Technicians, All Other
- Neurodiagnostic Technologists
- Ophthalmic Medical Technologists
- Radiologic Technicians
- Surgical Assistants
- Healthcare Practitioners and Technical Workers, All Other
- Occupational Therapy Assistants
- Healthcare Support Workers, All Other
- Endoscopy Technicians