Barrel Maker

Tank Maker

The tasks a Cooper; Tank or Barrel Maker is expected to perform include:

Making or repairing wooden tanks, barrels using hand and power tools for storing and transporting liquids like spirits, beer, etc.

Studying samples and drawings for selecting the required type of planks

Sawing and planing staves (wooden strips) according to the size and capacity of the cask to be made

Making suitable water tight joints along the sides and at both ends of the staves by power and hand tools

Assembling the staves into a tabular form along the joints made

Preparing two rings of iron strip of the required size by heating the iron strip in the furnace

Bending it into a circular shape by hammering and rivetting both ends

Heating carefully one end of the assembled staves by fire to make the wood pliable

Hammering one hoop on to the heated end till the staves bend to shape

Repeating the process at other end to fix other hoop

Preparing the top and bottom lids by sawing, planing and shaping wooden planks into the form of a circular disc

Sealing one end of the cask permanently by fixing the lid in the grooves

Applying lacquer to the joints to prevent leakage and polishing casks with wood polish

Repairing defective casks by replacing broken the staves and hoops and sealing leaking joints

Sharpening his own tools

Knowledge of the barrel making process

Well-versed in operating barrel making machines

Adept at tank making techniques like sawing, shaping, planing, etc.

Ability to use barrel making tools like saw, hammer, etc.

Physically fit

Will be updated

Ability to focus for long hours

Diligent and hardworking


Dexterity of hands

Eye for detail

It needs one to be on their toes

Need not handle a team

Local travelling is not a part of this job role

Part-time work and contractual jobs are available in some cities

Work from home option is not available

Working hours

Working hours are 8/10 hours everyday for 6 days a week. This may vary from factory to factory

Being self-employed is also an option. In this case, the working hours and days will be flexible

Shift system maybe available

Is the job suitable for a candidate with special needs?

The job is considered mildly hazardous or dangerous

Health risks include exposure to wooden dust, electrocution, fire, explosions, slight shocks can lead to injury or death, chemical additives, toxic solvents, adhesives, etc.

Occupational hazards may include irritation of the eyes, hand pain, muscular pain, etc.

Will be updated

Overview of the Furniture Industry in India

The furniture industry in India is generating a turnover of ?3,500 crore per annum. The industry is estimated to grow by 20 % in the coming years. The furniture industry has made the nation very proud as it is making an impact on the market for its fine arts and other marvellous work. The foreign market feels content and confident as the Indian furniture companies add growth of the industry. India holds a magnificent place in the world market for Indian furniture in fine arts and superb works.

Size of Indian furniture

The unorganized sector for the furniture market is at 10 % and is growing at about 35 % CAGR (Compound Annual Growth Rate). The furniture segment compromises of 65 % of the home market and 35 % of institutions. The entire home d?cor category spends on furniture accounts about 68 % of the share while the remaining 32 % comprises of furnishing and home investments. Imported furniture constitutes upto 85 % of the total organized furniture. India imports furniture from Italy, Germany, Spain, China, Korea, Malaysia, Indonesia, Philippines, etc.. According to statistics, in 2006 the Indian wooden furniture market is estimated to be worth US$ 1,358 million. About 11 % of this wooden furniture is imported and is growing at a rate of 50 % to 60 % every year. India was the largest furniture importer in the world in 2004-2005 with a 17 % share in furniture imports worldwide.

Local tradition and culture has contributed to the further development of ornamental woodwork for palaces, temples, public houses, and works of art. The tradition of using wooden furniture for homes came into existence later. In India, offices and hotels always had furniture, but furniture for homes started much later. Now-a-days the usage of wooden goods in homes has also increased, as people started using wood for decorating, furnishing cupboards and etc. Thus the Indian furniture market has grown from a grass route level, and will continue to develop in the future.

Wood manufacturers across India


Alcohol manufacturers across India

Towns and cities across India

Will be updated

Indian Plywood Industries Research & Training Institute

Will be updated