Operates telecommunication switchboards and consoles to assist callers establish telephone connections, and receive caller inquiries and fault reports.
- operating switchboards and consoles to connect, hold, transfer and disconnect telephone calls
- responding to callers' inquiries by providing information such as telephone numbers, dialling codes, call costs, time delays and service difficulties
- investigating operating system problems and informing maintenance services
- alerting emergency services when required
- recording details and determining charges for designated types of calls
- may monitor the efficiency of systems and maintain service sampling records
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications outlined below.
AQF Certificate I, or compulsory secondary education (ANZSCO Skill Level 5)
In New Zealand
NZ Register Level 1 qualification, or compulsory secondary education (ANZSCO Skill Level 5)
For some occupations a short period of on-the-job training may be required in addition to or instead of the formal qualification. In some instances no formal qualification or on-the-job training may be required.
Reference Australian Bureau of Statistics
1220.0 - ANZSCO -- Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations, 2013, Version 1.731