Prepares and maintains anaesthetic equipment for operating theatres or clinics, and assists Anaesthetists during anaesthetic procedures.
- operating equipment used in diagnosing and monitoring disorders of the heart, kidneys, nervous system and hearing, and in anaesthesia
- undertaking and assisting with medical analytical procedures and assisting Anaesthetists and surgical teams
- recording the electrical activity of the heart, from which the heart rate is measured and pattern and rhythm interpreted
- preparing and staining slides and tissue sections to study the cells of blood and for histological examination
- performing diagnostic tests on tissues and body fluids and analysing the chemical constituents of blood, urine, faeces and tissues
- testing for diseases by looking for the presence of antibodies and the products of immune response in samples
- setting up, checking and maintaining operating theatres, anaesthetic workstations, life support machines and associated equipment
- referring prescriptions to Pharmacists and assisting in preparing medications
Most occupations in this unit group have a level of skill commensurate with the qualifications and experience outlined below.
AQF Associate Degree, Advanced Diploma or Diploma (ANZSCO Skill Level 2)
In New Zealand
NZ Register Diploma (ANZSCO Skill Level 2)
At least three years of relevant experience may substitute for the formal qualifications listed above. In some instances relevant experience and/or on-the-job training may be required in addition to the formal qualification.
Registration or licensing may be required.
- Respiratory Therapists
- Cardiovascular Technologists and Technicians
- Dietetic Technicians
- Psychiatric Technicians
- Respiratory Therapy Technicians
- Health Technologists and Technicians, All Other
- Neurodiagnostic Technologists
- Ophthalmic Medical Technologists
- Radiologic Technicians
- Surgical Assistants
- Healthcare Practitioners and Technical Workers, All Other
- Occupational Therapy Assistants
- Healthcare Support Workers, All Other
- Endoscopy Technicians
Reference Australian Bureau of Statistics
1220.0 - ANZSCO -- Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations, 2013, Version 1.415