9271- HOSPITAL PORTERS
Hospital porter,Porter (hospital service),Portering supervisor (hospital services)
Hospital porters perform various manual tasks in hospitals to assist nursing and domestic staff with the care of patients
There are no formal academic entry requirements. Training is provided off- and on-the-job. Entrants must typically pass a medical examination and may be required to hold a driving licence.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 6
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 12.2
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- lifts, escorts and wheels patients between hospital wards;
- assists with the delivery of meals, laundry, medical supplies and post to the wards or theatres;
- moves hospital equipment and furniture;
- collects and disposes of refuse from wards and other departments;
- assists with unloading and delivery of supplies.