9260- ELEMENTARY STORAGE OCCUPATIONS
ELEMENTARY STORAGE OCCUPATIONS
Labourer (haulage contractor),Order picker,Warehouse assistant,Warehouse operator,Warehouse supervisor,Warehouseman
Workers in this unit group supply berthed ships with water, oil and petroleum, load and unload cargo from ships, boats and barges, convey household and office furniture, goods, equipment or other items in or near warehouses, depots, slaughterhouses, etc., prepare requisitions or despatch documents of stocks held, accompany drivers of road vehicles, and perform other elementary goods handling and storage related tasks.
There are no formal academic entry requirements. Training is typically provided off- or on-the-job. NVQs/ SVQs in Cargo Operations and in Distribution and Warehouse Operations are available at Levels 1 and 2.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 7
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 13.4
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- attaches hoses to ship?s flow connections, starts pump to transfer oil, petroleum or water to and from a ship and uncouples hose system when loading/discharging is complete;
- arranges cargo on quayside or in hold for loading or unloading and selects appropriate hook, chain, rope, sling or other grappling attachment;
- attaches winch or crane hooks, slings, ropes or clamps to load, signals to crane driver to commence lifting, visually checks that load is balanced and ensures that route is clear for movement;
- removes grappling attachment from cargo and stows cargo in hold or loads cargo on to transport or into warehouses.
- loads and unloads goods from removal vans or delivery vehicles either by hand or using trolleys and lift trucks;
- packs furniture and household goods into crates and cartons for storage;
- undertakes the loading and unloading of goods and conveys goods about storage area;
- retrieves stored items as listed on order sheets, makes up orders against requisitions and prepares goods for despatch;
- accompanies driver on journey and assists with manoeuvres and to load and unload vehicle.