9241- SECURITY GUARDS AND RELATED OCCUPATIONS
SECURITY GUARDS AND RELATED OCCUPATIONS
CCTV operator,Park keeper,Private investigator,Security guard,Security officer
Workers in this unit group protect merchandise, individuals, hotels, offices, factories, public grounds and private estates from injury, theft or damage, and investigate fraud and crime on a non-statutory basis.
There are no formal academic entry requirements. For some vacancies a current and clean driving licence is required and entrants may have to pass a medical examination. Training is typically provided on-the-job. NVQs/SVQs covering various aspects of security guarding are available at Level 2.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 6
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 12.2
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- investigates crimes, trading practices and the private affairs of individuals;
- walks or rides near person requiring protection, watches for suspicious occurrences and defends guarded person from attack;
- monitors and patrols hotels, factories, offices and other premises, forests, parks, and public or private estates to prevent theft and unauthorised entry;
- checks persons and vehicles entering and leaving premises, establishes their credentials and arranges for escorts for visitors;
- receives duty sheet, time-clock and keys for premises to be visited, checks locks, doors, windows, etc. and reports any suspicious circumstances to security headquarters;
- calls in civil police and gives evidence in court where necessary.