9234- LAUNDERERS, DRY CLEANERS AND PRESSERS
LAUNDERERS, DRY CLEANERS AND PRESSERS
Carpet cleaner,Dry cleaner,Garment presser,Laundry assistant,Laundry worker
Launderers, dry cleaners and pressers supervise and undertake the washing, dry cleaning, ironing and pressing of clothing, household and other linen, carpets, curtains and other articles.
Academic qualifications are not required. Training is mainly on-the-job. NVQs/SVQs in Laundering are available at Levels 1 and 2.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 7
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 13.2
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- receives garment or item from customer for cleaning, checks pockets, buttons, zips, etc. and issues receipt;
- sorts articles by fabric, colour and type and determines appropriate cleaning process;
- removes difficult stains using chemicals or steam gun;
- loads articles into washing and dry cleaning machines or electrically operated drum cleaning machine, operates controls to admit cleaning fluids and starts machine;
- sets and operates drying machines and smoothes and shapes washed garments using hand iron or machine press;
- allocates washing machines to customers, ensures correct use of equipment and gives change;
- performs a variety of laundering, dry cleaning and pressing tasks, including beating carpets and shaping starched collars, cuffs and hats.