9134- PACKERS, BOTTLERS, CANNERS AND FILLERS
PACKERS, BOTTLERS, CANNERS AND FILLERS
Factory worker (packing),Packaging operator,Packer,Paint filler
Jobholders in this unit group pack, wrap, fill, label and seal containers by hand or machine.
No academic qualifications are required. Training is typically provided on-the-job and varies according to the type of packing and product. Formal courses are run for specialist packing.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 7
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 13.2
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- selects appropriate cylinder, ensures that there is no corrosion or other damage and fills with gas;
- fills tubes, ampoules, bottles, drums, barrels, bags, sacks, cans, boxes and other containers by hand using measuring/weighing aid or by positioning container under feeder spout;
- packs heavy goods in crates and boxes using hoist, mobile crane or similar lifting equipment;
- loads machine with packaging containers, materials, adhesive, etc., loads hopper with items to be packaged/wrapped, monitors filling, wrapping and packaging, adjusts controls as necessary and clears any blockages;
- examines cans, bottles and seals and rejects any that are faulty;
- labels goods by hand or machine;
- packs specialist items according to specifications and completes necessary documentation.