9112- FORESTRY WORKERS
Forestry contractor,Forestry worker,Lumberjack
Forestry workers perform a variety of tasks related to the planting, cultivation and protection of trees.
There are no minimum academic entry requirements. Training is typically received on-the-job, supplemented by short courses covering specialised skills. NVQs/SVQs in Forestry are available at Levels 1 and 2, together with BTEC diplomas and apprenticeships in some areas.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 6
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 12.5
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- prepares ground for planting by clearing vegetation and other debris;
- drains and ploughs land and erects and maintains fences as necessary;
- collects seeds, plants and prunes trees and selects and marks trees for felling;
- fells trees using axe or power saw and saws wood into required lengths;
- cuts coppice, removes tops of standing trees and lops branches as necessary;
- assists in the control of harmful diseases, pests or forms of wildlife;
- builds and maintains forest roads;
- maintains watch for fires and operates fire fighting equipment.