8239- OTHER DRIVERS AND TRANSPORT OPERATIVES N.E.C.
OTHER DRIVERS AND TRANSPORT OPERATIVES N.E.C.
Bus inspector,Operations assistant (freight handling),Test driver (motor vehicle mfr),Transport supervisor,Yard foreman (road transport)
Jobholders in this unit group monitor the activities of bus drivers, conductors and other road transport depot drivers, undertake various tasks related to water transportation, and perform other transportation tasks not elsewhere classified in MINOR GROUP 823: Other Drivers and Transport Operatives.
There are no formal academic entry requirements. Training is provided both off- and on-the-job. NVQs/SVQs in Organising Road Transport Operations and Marine Operations are available at Level 2.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 5
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 10
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- checks that vehicles run as scheduled, monitors number of passengers travelling particular routes and makes recommendations for improvement of services;
- organises relief and replacement crews as necessary, ensures compliance with regulations regarding the carrying of passengers and luggage, and submits reports of any irregularities;
- checks that goods have been correctly loaded into vehicle, monitors and records information from tachograph, and arranges for servicing, refuelling, cleaning and repair of depot vehicles;
- operates and maintains lighthouses and navigational lights in harbours, and assists in mooring craft;
- operates and maintains locks, opens and closes moving bridges across inland waterways and docks, and measures depth of water in canals, rivers, etc. to determine possible dumping or dredging sites;
- guides horses or ponies and drives horse drawn vehicles to transport goods and passengers.