8231- TRAIN AND TRAM DRIVERS
TRAIN AND TRAM DRIVERS
Train driver,Train operator,Tram driver
Job holders in this unit group drive diesel, diesel-electric, electric and steam locomotives that transport passengers and goods on surface and underground railways, and transport passengers in trams.
There are no formal academic requirements. Entrants must pass a series of tests and a medical examination. Age restrictions apply in some areas of work. Good hearing, good eyesight and normal colour vision are required. Off- and on-the-job training is provided. NVQs/SVQs are available at Level 2.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 5
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 11.1
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- checks controls, gauges, brakes and lights before start of journey and studies route, timetable and track information;
- checks safety equipment, regulates the heating of passenger compartments and records engine defects or unusual incidents on the journey;
- starts train or tram when directed and operates controls to regulate speed;
- watches for track hazards, observes signals and temperature, pressure and other gauges;
- stops as directed to allow passengers to embark/ disembark;
- makes scheduled stops for the loading and unloading of freight and coupling/uncoupling of carriages and tubs;
- maintains radio contact with control centre;
- may make passenger announcements and controls automatic doors;
- may check travel passes, collect fares and deal with passenger queries.
Similar O*NET Careers (USA) :
Source Of Info: