8221- CRANE DRIVERS
Crane driver,Crane operator,Haulage engine driver,Winchman
Crane drivers supervise and undertake the operation of cranes, jib cranes, power driven hoisting machinery and power driven stationary engines to raise and lower mine and other cages, and to lift and move equipment, materials, machinery and containers.
There are no formal academic entry requirements. Training is typically provided on-the-job, supplemented by short courses. Operators are required to hold a Certificate of Training Achievement (CTA) card administered by Construction Skills, demonstrating basic skills and safety awareness.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 6
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 12.3
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- gives signals for movement of cage carrying workers/equipment;
- starts crane or engine motor and checks that cables run freely and that brakes and drum(s) are working;
- manipulates levers, switches and pedals to rotate jibs into position and turns winding drum to raise or lower hook, bucket or other holding equipment;
- lifts load or cage, or hauls object into required position and lowers or positions for ground workers to detach, unload or load;
- watches control panel for warning lights and indications of wind speed and direction and carrying capacity of crane;
- oils and greases machine and checks ropes.