8213- BUS AND COACH DRIVERS
BUS AND COACH DRIVERS
Bus driver,Coach driver,Coach operator,Minibus driver,PSV driver
Bus and coach drivers drive road passenger-carrying vehicles such as buses, coaches and mini-buses.
There are no formal academic entry requirements, though candidates must be in possession of a full car driving licence. All bus and coach drivers must pass the Passenger Carrying Vehicle (PCV) test. This incorporates a theoretical examination and assessed driving. Entrants to the PCV test must be at least 18 years old. NVQs/SVQs in Transporting Passengers by Road are available at Levels 2 and 3.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 7
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 13.3
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- checks tyres, brakes, lights, oil, water and fuel levels and general condition of the vehicle before start of journey;
- drives single- and double-decked vehicle over pre-determined route, complying with traffic regulations and keeping to time schedule;
- stops and opens and closes doors at pre-arranged places to allow passengers to board and alight, observing regulations concerning the number of passengers carried;
- may collect fares from passengers and issue tickets or ensure that they use a ticket machine;
- may plan routes in conjunction with private hirer and assist with loading and unloading of luggage;
- balances cash taken with tickets sold and may be responsible for cleanliness of vehicle;
- maintains records of journey times, mileage and hours worked.