8212- VAN DRIVERS
Courier driver,Delivery driver,Driver,Parcel delivery driver,Van driver
Van drivers collect, transport and deliver goods in vehicles up to 7.5 tonnes in weight.
There are no formal academic entry requirements. Entrants must possess a clean car driving licence. In order to drive vehicles between 3.5 and 7.5 tonnes, entrants must pass an additional test for a category C1 licence. Minimum age restrictions apply according to the weight of vehicle and whether the driver holds a Driver CPC (Certificate of Professional Competence). NVQs/SVQs in relevant areas and at various levels are available.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 7
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 13.3
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- checks tyres, brakes, lights, oil, water and fuel levels and general condition of the vehicle;
- drives vehicle from depot to loading/unloading point;
- assists with loading/unloading and obtains receipts from customers for goods collected/delivered;
- drives vehicle to destination in accordance with schedule;
- maintains records of journey times, mileage and hours worked;
- undertakes minor repairs and notifies supervisor of any mechanical faults.