8211- LARGE GOODS VEHICLE DRIVERS
LARGE GOODS VEHICLE DRIVERS
Haulage contractor,HGV driver,Lorry driver,Owner (heavy goods vehicle),Tanker driver
Large Goods Vehicle (LGV) drivers (formerly HGV drivers), collect, transport and deliver goods in rigid vehicles over 7.5 tonnes, articulated lorries and lorries pulling trailers.
No formal academic entry qualifications are required. The LGV test incorporates a medical examination, theory test and assessed road driving. LGV drivers of vehicles of 3.5 tonnes and over require a Driver CPC (Certificate of Professional Competence). The minimum age for LGV driving after obtaining the qualification is 18 years. NVQs/SVQs, other vocational courses and apprenticeships relevant to this occupation are available at various levels.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 7
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 13.3
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- checks tyres, brakes, lights, oil, water and fuel levels and general condition of the vehicle;
- drives vehicle from depot to loading/unloading point;
- agrees delivery schedule and route with transport management;
- assists with loading/unloading and ensures that load is evenly distributed and safely secured;
- drives vehicle to destination in accordance with schedule;
- maintains records of journey times, mileage and hours worked;
- undertakes minor repairs and notifies supervisor of any mechanical faults.