8143- RAIL CONSTRUCTION AND MAINTENANCE OPERATIVES
RAIL CONSTRUCTION AND MAINTENANCE OPERATIVES
Line Inspector (railways),Maintenance man (railway maintenance and repair),Relayer (railways),Trackman (railways),Ultrasonic engineer (railway maintenance and repair)
Rail construction and maintenance operatives lay, re-lay, repair and examine railway track and maintain surrounding areas.
There are no formal academic entry requirements. Off- and on-the-job training is provided. NVQs/SVQs in Rail Transport Engineering are available at Levels 2 and 3.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 5
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 11.2
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- patrols length of track and visually inspects rails, bolts, fishplates and chairs for distortion or fracture;
- checks tightness of bolts and wedges, replaces damaged rail chairs and repacks ballast under sleepers if necessary;
- lubricates points, examines fences, drains, culverts and embankments and carries out any necessary maintenance;
- spreads ballast and lays sleepers or metal plates at specified intervals;
- positions lengths of rail, sets of points and crossovers and secures rail with bolts, wooden wedges or clips;
- fastens together sections of rail by bolting fishplates to rails.