8142- ROAD CONSTRUCTION OPERATIVES
ROAD CONSTRUCTION OPERATIVES
Asphalter,Concrete finisher (building construction),Highways maintenance hand,Paver,Road worker
Road construction operatives construct, repair and maintain roads and lay paving slabs and kerbstones to form pavements and street gutters.
No academic qualifications are required. Training is typically provided on-the-job. All sites are required to have a ?trained operative? registered with the Street Workers Qualification Register. Trained operatives are required to attend accredited assessment centres. NVQs/SVQs in Highway Maintenance and Road Building are available at Levels 1 and 2.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 6
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 12.4
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- inspects road surfaces for hazards or signs of deterioration, clears mud, weeds and debris from road and spreads grit or salt as required;
- cuts away broken road surface with pick or pneumatic drill;
- heats bitumen in bucket, applies it to newly laid asphalt and beats or draws tamper head on asphalt to close joints;
- spreads bitumen, tar or asphalt and compacts surface using roller;
- spreads aggregate over road surfaces using shovel and lays markings on road surface;
- removes damaged paving slabs and kerb stones, lays bedding of sand, concrete or mortar on prepared foundation, lays new slabs or stones and fills joints with mortar.
Similar O*NET Careers (USA) :
Source Of Info: