8137- SEWING MACHINISTS
Overlocker,Seamstress,Sewing machinist,Stitcher,Upholstery machinist
Jobholders in this unit group sew and finish garments by hand or machine, rectify faults in manufactured textile goods and repair worn and damaged garments.
There are no formal academic entry requirements. Training is received off- and on-the-job. NVQs/ SVQs are available at Levels 1 and 2.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 7
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 13.2
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- operates standard and specialised machines to sew, finish and repair garments and other textile, fabric, fur and skin products;
- examines fabrics of all types to identify imperfections and determine best method of repair;
- performs hand sewing tasks in the making, trimming and finishing of fur, sheepskin, leather, upholstery, mats, carpets, umbrellas and other textile products;
- embroiders decorative designs on textiles with machine stitching;
- cleans and oils machine and reports or remedies any mechanical faults.