8129- PLANT AND MACHINE OPERATIVES N.E.C.
PLANT AND MACHINE OPERATIVES N.E.C.
Bench hand (metal trades),Cable maker (spring mfr),Laser operator,Manufacturer (metal goods mfr),Saw doctor
Job holders in this unit group operate a variety of plant and machinery not elsewhere classified in MINOR GROUP 812: Plant and Machine Operatives.
There are no formal academic entry requirements. Training is typically provided on-the-job. NVQs/ SVQs are available in some areas.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 6
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 12.4
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- operates acetylene torches and other cutting equipment to dismantle boilers, cars, ships, railway track, engines, machinery and other scrap metal;
- bends, coils, crimps and spins metal wires in the manufacture of cables, springs, ropes and other wire goods;
- operates machines in the manufacture of nuts, bolts, nails, screws, pins, rivets, etc.;
- fills grease gun with grease of appropriate grade, and applies grease or oil to grease points or lubrication holes in machinery or equipment and over bearings, axles and other similar parts;
- ensures that rollers in rope haulage system are well greased and running freely;
- inspects machines and equipment, and reports any faults.