8127- PRINTING MACHINE ASSISTANTS
PRINTING MACHINE ASSISTANTS
Finishing operative (printing),Lithographer (printing),Machinist (printing),Print operator,Printer?s assistant
Printing machine assistants set and operate letterpress, platen or cylinder, lithographic and photogravure printing machines, photocopiers, office printers, duplication machines and other reprographic equipment.
No academic qualifications are required. Off- and on-the-job training is provided. NVQs/SVQs in Screen Printing are available at Levels 1 and 2, and in Machine Printing at Levels 2 and 3.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 6
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 12.3
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- positions printing plates, loads inks into reservoirs and loads paper rolls or sheets into printing press;
- sets controls to control the speed, pressure and ink flow of printing machine;
- loads photocopiers, office printers, duplication machines and other reprographic equipment with stationery;
- starts reprographic or printing machine and monitors operation for paper misfeeds and error messages, removes blockages and replaces damaged paper, and monitors quality of output;
- carries out routine maintenance and cleaning of printing machine;
- sets and operates machines for cutting paper to specified dimensions or for folding or binding to produce finished paper items;
- sets and operates presses for stamping patterns and labels on textiles, clothing, pottery, footwear and other leather goods.