8126- WATER AND SEWERAGE PLANT OPERATIVES
WATER AND SEWERAGE PLANT OPERATIVES
Controller (water treatment),Plant operator (sewage works),Pump attendant,Water treatment engineer,Water treatment operator
Water and sewerage plant operatives operate valves to control water supplies in mains and pipelines, attend screening, filtering, water purifying and sedimentation plant, clear any blockages and patrol and maintain sewerage systems.
There are no formal academic entry requirements. Training is provided off- and on-the-job. NVQs/ SVQs in Operating Process Plant are available at Level 2.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 5
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 11.2
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- attends water filtration and purification plant, monitors chemical treatment and regulates treatment of water supply within strict guidelines;
- opens and closes valves to regulate quantity and pressure of water and reports defective valves or abnormal water pressure;
- stops water supply in an emergency and informs consumers likely to be affected;
- regulates flow of raw sewage into screening plant, releases screened sewage and regulates its flow into detritus pits, sedimentation tanks and filtration beds;
- cleans out screen compartments, sedimentation tanks and filtration beds manually or using mechanical scraper;
- patrols sections of sewer, examines for any blockages or gas releases and clears blockages by flushing or by using boring rods;
- digs trench and assists pipe layers to lay, renew or repair sewerage pipes.