8124- ENERGY PLANT OPERATIVES
ENERGY PLANT OPERATIVES
Boilerman,Control room operator (electric),Hydraulic engineman,Plant operator (electricity supplier),Power station operator
Job holders in this unit group operate boilers to produce hot water or steam and attend and operate compressors, turbines, electrical substations, switchboards and auxiliary plant and machinery to fuel nuclear reactors, drive blowers and pumps, electricity generators and other equipment.
There are no formal academic entry requirements. Training is typically by apprenticeship, incorporating technical training and practical experience. NVQs/ SVQs in Maintaining Electricity Generating Systems are available at Levels 2 and 3.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 6
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 12.4
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- determines job requirements from switchboard attendant or operating instructions;
- opens valves and operates controls to regulate the flow of fuel to boiler or generating equipment;
- operates remote control panel to load fuel and remove discharged fuel elements from nuclear reactors;
- adjusts controls to maintain correct running speed of turbine or generator and monitors temperature and pressure controls on boilers;
- records instrument readings periodically and shuts down turbine/generator or boiler as demand decreases;
- carries out minor maintenance tasks and prescribed tests and reports any faults.