8117- METAL MAKING AND TREATING PROCESS OPERATIVES
METAL MAKING AND TREATING PROCESS OPERATIVES
Degreaser (metal trades),Foreman (metal refining),Furnaceman (metal trades),Process worker (nickel mfr),Wire drawer
Metal making and treating process operatives operate furnaces, ovens and other heating vessels, drawing, rolling, extruding, galvanising, forging and other metal processing equipment to smelt, shape and treat metal and metal products.
There are no formal academic entry requirements. Training is typically provided on-the-job. NVQs/ SVQs in Steel Making, Steel Refining, Steel Casting and Metal Forging are available at Levels 2 and 3.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 6
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 12.3
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- charges furnace, operates controls to regulate furnace temperature, and adds oxidising, alloying and fluxing agents as required;
- withdraws samples of molten metal for analysis, taps slag from surface of molten metal and directs flow of molten metal into casts;
- sets rolling speed, tension and space between rolls, guides the metal to and from rollers, and monitors the rolling process to detect irregularities, and ensure that the gauge and finish match required specifications;
- operates equipment to remove dirt, scale and other surface impurities by immersion in chemical solution;
- heats metal or metal articles in furnace, allows to cool for a specified time or quenches in brine, oil or water to harden, reduces brittleness and restores ductility;
- operates piercing, extruding, pressing and other metal processing equipment to shape and treat metal or metal articles.
Similar O*NET Careers (USA) :
Source Of Info: