8113- TEXTILE PROCESS OPERATIVES
TEXTILE PROCESS OPERATIVES
Hosiery worker,Machinist (rope, twine mfr),Process worker (textile mfr),Spinner (paper twine mfr)
Job holders in this unit group operate machines to prepare natural and synthetic fibres for processing, spin and twist fibre into yarn, thread, twine, rope and other similar material, and estimate the quantities of colouring matter required for printing and dyeing fabrics.
There are no formal academic entry requirements. Training is typically provided on-the-job. NVQs/ SVQs in Manufacturing Textiles are available at Levels 1, 2 and 3.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 7
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 13.2
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- sets controls, starts machinery and monitors the passage of material processed;
- replenishes the supply of input fibres, removes and replaces full output packages, cards and spools;
- detects blockages, tangled thread, defective or broken material, and joins broken ends by hand or mechanical knotting;
- checks quality of completed material, marks any flaws and removes badly damaged sections;
- examines colour cards or specifications, estimates quantity of colouring material needed to print or dye fibre and calculates and mixes ingredients accordingly;
- stretches, shrinks, brushes, dampens and presses fabric and shears or burns off protruding fabric fibres as required;
- cleans and oils machine, detects and reports mechanical faults to technicians.
Similar O*NET Careers (USA) :
Source Of Info: