7114- PHARMACY AND OTHER DISPENSING ASSISTANTS
PHARMACY AND OTHER DISPENSING ASSISTANTS
Dispenser,Health care assistant (retail chemist),Optical assistant,Pharmacy assistant
Pharmacy and other dispensing assistants work under the supervision of pharmacists or other relevant health professionals to dispense drugs and medicines, issue pre-packaged prescriptions, sell over-the-counter medication, dispense spectacles and contact lenses and other related products.
Entrants usually possess GCSEs/S grades. Training is typically received on-the-job, supplemented by study towards vocational qualifications. NVQs/ SVQs are available in relevant areas and at various levels, and apprenticeships may be available.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 6
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 12.1
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- checks received prescriptions for legality and accuracy and confirms patients? or customers? details;
- maintains records of prescriptions received and drugs issued;
- checks stock levels, rotates stock, orders new stock from supplying companies and ensures that products are stored appropriately;
- arranges displays of merchandise;
- relays information to customers under the direction of pharmacist or other health professional;
- carries out sales transaction, wraps and packages goods.