7111- SALES AND RETAIL ASSISTANTS
SALES AND RETAIL ASSISTANTS
Retail assistant,Sales adviser,Sales assistant,Sales consultant (retail trade),Shop assistant
Sales and retail assistants demonstrate and sell a variety of goods and services in shops, stores, showrooms and similar establishments.
No minimum academic qualifications are required although some employers may require GCSEs/S grades. Training is typically provided on-the-job. Apprenticeships and NVQs/SVQs in Retail Operations are available at various levels.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 6
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 12.1
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- discusses customer requirements, including type and price range of goods/services desired;
- advises customer on selection, purchase, use and care of merchandise and quotes prices, discounts and delivery times;
- advises customer making major purchase on credit terms and arranges finance as appropriate;
- receives full or partial payment, checks validity of form of payment, writes or prints bill, receipt or docket and packages merchandise for customer;
- arranges and replenishes goods on display stands, undertakes stock checks and assists with the receipt of deliveries from suppliers into the stock room;
- handles returns and deals with customer complaints.