6212- TRAVEL AGENTS
Reservations clerk (travel),Sales consultant (travel agents),Travel adviser,Travel agent,Travel consultant
Travel agents advise travellers upon travel arrangements, make bookings and receive payment for travel arrangements made.
There are no formal academic entry requirements, although many employers require entrants to possess GCSEs/S grades. Off- and on-the-job training is usually available. NVQs/SVQs in travel services at Levels 2 and 3, BTEC, apprenticeships and higher level qualifications are available.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 3
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 7.2
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- discusses client requirements and shows brochures containing suitable packages;
- establishes availability with tour operators and makes bookings;
- consults travel time-tables, books travel tickets and accommodation;
- handles cash, debit and credit card payment;
- informs client of any changes in travel arrangements;
- advises on issues of currency, passports, visa requirements, insurance, car hire, vaccinations and other health precautions.