6145- CARE WORKERS AND HOME CARERS
CARE WORKERS AND HOME CARERS
Care assistant,Care worker,Carer,Home care assistant,Home carer,Support worker (nursing home)
Care workers and home carers attend to the personal needs and comforts of the elderly and the infirm with care and support needs (?service users?) within residential care establishments, day care establishments or in their own homes.
There are no formal academic entry requirements. In most cases workers will be required to register with the appropriate statutory body which involves satisfying the registration criteria. This would normally include holding or working towards the appropriate qualification for the job. Entrants must typically be 18 years old and have experience of working in a care environment. Both off- and on-the-job training is available. A wide range of qualifications including NVQs/SVQs covering various aspects of care are available. Background checks including a CRB check are likely to be required.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 6
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 12.2
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- assists and enables service users to dress, undress, wash, use the toilet and bathe;
- serves meals to service users at table or in bed, and assists with feeding if required;
- generally assists with service users? overall comfort and well being;
- provides interest and activities to stimulate and engage the service user;
- helps with daily activities such as letter writing, paying bills, collecting benefits;
- undertakes light cleaning and domestic duties including meal preparation as required;
- monitors service users? conditions by taking temperature, pulse, respiration and weight, and contributes to record keeping;
- liaises with professional staff in carrying out care plans etc.