6143- DENTAL NURSES
Dental assistant,Dental nurse,Dental nurse-receptionist,Dental surgery assistant
Dental nurses prepare patients for, and assist with, dental examinations, prepare and sterilise instruments and maintain case records.
Entry is most common with GCSEs/S grades. Training is available both off- and on-the-job. Most entrants work towards the National Certificate for Dental Nurses.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 6
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 12.2
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- prepares patient for examination;
- prepares and sterilises instruments and follows guidelines to maintain sterile conditions within the surgery;
- hands required equipment and medication to dentist during examination;
- assists with minor treatment, such as preparing materials for fillings;
- removes water and saliva from patient?s mouth during treatment;
- maintains records, processes and mounts x-ray films and undertakes reception duties.