6132- PEST CONTROL OFFICERS
PEST CONTROL OFFICERS
Fumigator,Pest control officer,Pest control technician,Pest controller
Pest control officers investigate the presence of pests that are hazardous to public health or cause nuisance, lay traps to capture pests and treat areas of infestation.
There are no formal academic entry qualifications, though some employers may expect entrants to possess GCSEs/S grades. Training is provided on-the-job, supplemented by specialist courses covering different aspects of pest control.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 6
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 12.2
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- receives reports from public, property owners and authorities regarding the presence of pests and infestations;
- visits sites to investigate the presence of rodents, infestations and other pests that may be hazardous to public health;
- lays traps to capture pests, and fumigates and disinfects areas to remove infestations;
- advises property owners on courses of action to prevent the return of pests;
- liaises with environmental health officers, housing officers and other relevant authorities where measures on a large scale are required to remove pests;
- returns to sites to examine contents of traps laid and the continued presence of reported pests;
- treats wood for effects of termites, woodworm and other infestations of timber.