6131- VETERINARY NURSES
Animal nurse,Veterinary nurse
Veterinary nurses provide assistance to veterinarians in the treatment and care of sick or injured animals.
Entrants require GCSEs/S grades or an equivalent qualification. Entrants must obtain employment at an approved veterinary practice to gain practical experience and tuition with an employer for a minimum duration of two years. Candidates must also pass professional examinations before qualifying as a veterinary nurse.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 6
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 12.2
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- assists the veterinary surgeon during surgical and medical treatments of animals;
- prepares operating theatre, sterilises equipment and assists in theatre as required;
- dispenses and administers medication and applies dressings to animals under direction from the veterinarian;
- handles animals during treatment;
- collects and analyses blood, urine and other samples;
- cares for animals in hospital accommodation and keeps accurate records;
- maintains the biosecurity of the veterinary premises;
- advises clients on preventative medicine to maintain appropriate animal health and welfare.