5442- FURNITURE MAKERS AND OTHER CRAFT WOODWORKERS
FURNITURE MAKERS AND OTHER CRAFT WOODWORKERS
Antiques restorer,Cabinet maker,Coffin maker,Furniture restorer,Picture framer,Sprayer (furniture mfr)
Furniture makers and other craft woodworkers make, repair and restore wooden furniture, decorative objects and other crafted pieces of woodwork.
There are no formal entry requirements, although entrants typically possess a variety of academic and vocational qualifications. Training is provided off- and on-the-job. A number of NVQs/SVQs and other vocational qualifications covering various aspects of furniture production and wood machining are available at various levels. Apprenticeships in Cabinet Making are available in some areas.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 7
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 13.3
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- examines drawings and specifications to determine job requirements and appropriate materials;
- selects, measures, cuts and shapes wood using saws, chisels, planes, powered hand tools and woodworking machines;
- assembles parts with crafted joints, nails, screws, dowels or adhesives and fits locks, catches, hinges, castors, drawers, shelves and other fittings;
- removes, replaces or repairs damaged parts of wooden furniture;
- measures floor area to be covered and lays wood blocks, parquet panels or hardwood strips;
- matches and marks out veneers ready for cutting and examines and repairs defects in veneer or plywood sheets.
Similar O*NET Careers (USA) :
Source Of Info: