5441- GLASS AND CERAMICS MAKERS, DECORATORS AND FINISHERS
GLASS AND CERAMICS MAKERS, DECORATORS AND FINISHERS
Ceramic artist,Glass blower,Potter (ceramics mfr),Pottery worker,Sprayer (ceramics mfr),Stained glass artist
Glass and ceramics workers, form, shape, decorate, smooth and polish glassware, earthenware, refractory goods, clay bricks and other ceramic goods.
There are no formal academic entry requirements. Training is typically provided on-the-job. NVQs/ SVQs at Levels 1, 2 and 3 are available in some areas.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 7
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 13.3
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- uses hand tools and operates machinery to heat, bend, shape, press, drill and cut glass;
- makes artificial eyes, laminated glass sheets or blocks, glass fibre tissue, wool, filament and matting, marks optical lenses and assembles rimless spectacles;
- makes models and moulds from moulding clay and plaster for use in the making and casting of pottery and other ceramic goods;
- throws, casts and presses clay by hand or machine to form pottery, stoneware or refractory goods such as bricks, crucibles, ornaments, sanitary furnishings, saggars, cups, saucers, plates and roofing tiles;
- cuts and joins unfired stoneware pipes to form junctions and gullies, moulds sealing bands on clay pipes, prepares and joins porcelain or earthenware components and assists crucible makers and stone workers with their tasks;
- applies decorative designs and finishes to glassware, optical glass and ceramic goods by grinding, smoothing, polishing, cutting, etching, dipping, painting or transferring patterns or labels.