Butcher,Butcher?s assistant,Butchery manager,Master butcher,Slaughterman
Butchers direct and undertake the slaughter of animals and prepare carcasses for storage, processing and sale.
There are no formal academic requirements although some employers may require GCSEs/S grades. Training is typically by apprenticeship. NVQs/SVQs are available at Levels 2 and 3. Professional qualifications are also available.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 7
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 13.3
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- slaughters animal and removes skin, hide, hairs, internal organs, etc.;
- cuts or saws carcasses into manageable portions;
- removes bones, gristle, surplus fat, rind and other waste material;
- cuts carcass parts into chops, joints, steaks, etc. for sale;
- prepares meat for curing or other processing; cleans tools and work surfaces.