5423- PRINT FINISHING AND BINDING WORKERS
PRINT FINISHING AND BINDING WORKERS
Binder?s assistant,Book binder,Finishing supervisor (printing),Print finisher
Print finishing and binding workers bind books and other publications and finish printed items by hand or machine.
There are no formal academic requirements although some employers may require GCSEs/S grades. Training is typically received on-the-job. National Traineeships and apprenticeships in Machine Printing are available at NVQ/SVQ Levels 2 and 3.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 7
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 13.3
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- folds, collates and sews printed sheets by hand or machine;
- compresses sewn book in nipping machine to expel air and reduce swelling caused by sewing;
- trims head, tail and fore-edge of book and gilds and marbles page edges as necessary;
- cuts board and cloth for book cover and spine;
- embosses lettering or decoration on cover by hand or machine;
- repairs worn book bindings;
- sets up and supervises automatic binding and finishing machine.