5414- TAILORS AND DRESSMAKERS
TAILORS AND DRESSMAKERS
Cutter (hosiery, knitwear mfr),Dressmaker,Fabric Cutter,Tailor,Tailoress
Tailors and dressmakers prepare patterns and make, fit and alter tailored garments, dresses and other articles of clothing.
There are no formal academic entry requirements, although some employers may require GCSEs/S grades. A variety of relevant vocational courses, including apprenticeships in some areas, are available leading to qualifications up to Level 3.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 6
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 12.3
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- takes customer?s measurements and discusses required style and material;
- prepares individual or adapts stock pattern;
- examines fabrics or skins for flaws and prepares materials for cutting;
- arranges pattern on correct grain of fabric, marks position and cuts out garment parts with hand shears, electric knife or cutting machine;
- pins/tacks and fits garment on customer or dummy model and makes any necessary alterations;
- sews garment parts together by hand or machine, makes buttonholes and sews on fasteners and trimmings;
- shapes garment by pressing seams, pleats, etc.;
- makes alterations to finished garments according to customer?s requirements.
Similar O*NET Careers (USA) :
Source Of Info: