5413- FOOTWEAR AND LEATHER WORKING TRADES
FOOTWEAR AND LEATHER WORKING TRADES
Cobbler,Leather worker (leather goods mfr),Machinist (leather goods mfr),Shoe machinist,Shoe repairer
Workers in this unit group make and repair shoes, cut out, make up, sew, decorate and finish leather and leather substitute goods other than garments.
There are no formal academic requirements although some employers may require GCSEs/S grades. Training is mainly on-the-job. NVQs/SVQs are available in some areas.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 7
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 13.3
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- uses hand tools or machine to cut out, trim, punch holes in or stitch guide lines on leather or leather substitute component parts;
- positions leather and rubber footwear component parts on lasts and shapes and joins uppers to insoles and soles;
- uses hand tools or machine to make up and repair saddles, harnesses, belts, straps and other leather products;
- uses hand and machine tools to sew and stitch leather and/or other material in the making and decoration of footwear and leather goods other than garments;
- prepares paper or paperboard master patterns of component parts of footwear;
- waxes, cleans and finishes footwear and other leather goods.