Curtain fitter,Curtain maker,Soft furnisher,Trimmer (furniture mfr),Upholsterer
Job holders in this unit group upholster vehicle, aircraft and other seating, fix trimmings to the interiors of vehicles and aircraft, upholster furniture such as chairs and sofas, and make mattresses, curtains and other soft furnishings.
There are no formal academic requirements although some employers may require GCSEs/S grades. Training is provided off- and on-the-job. NVQs/ SVQs in Upholstered Furniture Production are available at Level 2.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 7
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 13.3
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- measures frame to be covered or examines drawings or other specifications and cuts material with shears, knife or scissors;
- tacks and staples or otherwise secures webbing to furniture frame;
- pads springs and secures padding by stitching, stapling, tacking, etc.;
- pins sections of coverings together, joins by sewing and inserts trims, braids and buttons as required and fits upholstery unit to frame;
- operates machine to compress padded spring assemblies and inserts them into mattress covers;
- encases bed springs and padding with selected covering material by hand or machine stitching and fits castors where required;
- replaces covering, padding, webbing or springs to repair upholstered furniture;
- measures, cuts, pins, sews and trims fabrics to make curtains, cushions, loose covers and similar soft furnishings.