5316- GLAZIERS, WINDOW FABRICATORS AND FITTERS
GLAZIERS, WINDOW FABRICATORS AND FITTERS
Glass Cutter,Glazier,Installer (double glazing),Window fabricator,Window fitter
Job holders in this unit group install pre-glazed wooden, metal or PVC framework, and cut, fit and set glass in windows, doors, shop fronts, and other structural frames.
There are no formal academic entry requirements. Entry is typically through an apprenticeship in Glazing Installation or Installing Architectural Glazing Systems leading to an NVQ/SVQ at Level 3.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 7
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 13.2
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- examines drawings or specifications to determine job requirements;
- scores plain, coloured, safety and ornamental glass with hand cutter and breaks off glass by hand or with pliers;
- smoothes edges of glass and positions and secures in frame or grooved lead strips;
- applies mastic, putty or adhesive between glass and frame and trims off excess with knife;
- fixes mirror panels to interior and exterior walls and repairs and replaces broken glass.