5315- CARPENTERS AND JOINERS
CARPENTERS AND JOINERS
Carpenter,Carpenter and joiner,Joiner,Kitchen fitter,Shop fitter
Carpenters and joiners construct, erect, install and repair wooden structures and fittings used in internal and external frameworks and cut, shape, fit and assemble wood to make templates, jigs, scale models and scenic equipment for theatres.
There are no formal academic entry requirements, though GCSEs/S grades are advantageous. Entry is typically through an apprenticeship or traineeship approved by ConstructionSkills leading to an NVQ/SVQ in General Construction at Level 3.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 4
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 9.1
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- examines drawings and specifications to determine job requirements;
- selects and measures appropriate wood and cuts, shapes and drills to specification using saws, planes, chisels and other power or hand tools;
- aligns and fixes prepared wood pieces by screwing, nailing, gluing and dowelling to form frames, shop fronts, counter units, decking, theatrical sets, furniture, small wooden craft, scale models and wooden templates;
- checks accuracy of work with square, rule and spirit level;
- maintains and repairs woodwork and fittings.