5314- PLUMBERS AND HEATING AND VENTILATING ENGINEERS
PLUMBERS AND HEATING AND VENTILATING ENGINEERS
Gas engineer,Gas service engineer,Heating and ventilating engineer,Heating engineer,Plumber,Plumbing and heating engineer
Jobholders in this unit group assemble, install, maintain and repair plumbing fixtures, heating and ventilating systems and pipes and pipeline systems in commercial, residential and industrial premises and public buildings.
There are no formal academic requirements although GCSEs/S grades are advantageous. NVQs/SVQs in Mechanical Engineering Services are available at Levels 2 and 3. Apprenticeships are available for plumbing and lead to an NVQ/SVQ at Level 3.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 5
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 11.1
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- examines drawings and specifications to determine layout of system;
- measures and cuts required lengths of copper, lead, steel, iron, aluminium or plastic using hand or machine tools;
- installs fittings such as storage tanks, cookers, baths, toilets, taps and valves, refrigerators, boilers, radiators and fires;
- tests completed installation for leaks and makes any necessary adjustments;
- attaches fittings and joins piping by welding, soldering, cementing, fusing, screwing or other methods;
- repairs burst pipes and mechanical and combustion faults and replaces faulty taps, washers, valves, etc.