5313- ROOFERS, ROOF TILERS AND SLATERS
ROOFERS, ROOF TILERS AND SLATERS
Mastic asphalt spreader,Roof tiler,Roofer,Roofing contractor,Slater,Thatcher
Job holders in this unit group cover roofs and exterior walls with felting, sheeting, slates, tiles and thatch to provide a waterproof surface.
There are no formal academic entry requirements, though GCSEs/S grades are advantageous. Entry is typically through an apprenticeship or traineeship approved by ConstructionSkills leading to an NVQ/SVQ in General Construction at Level 3.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 4
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 9.1
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- measures roof or exterior wall and calculates required amounts of underfelt, tiles, slates or thatching material;
- cuts wooden battens, felt and underfelt to required size;
- lays and secures underfelt and covers with hot bitumen or other adhesive compound;
- lays, aligns and secures successive overlapping layers of roofing material;
- seals edges of roof with mortar and ensures that joints are watertight.