5312- BRICKLAYERS AND MASONS
BRICKLAYERS AND MASONS
Bricklayer,Dry stone waller,Stone mason
Bricklayers and masons erect and repair structures of stone, brick and similar materials and cut, shape and polish granite, marble, slate and other stone for building, ornamental and other purposes.
There are no formal academic entry requirements, though GCSEs/S grades are advantageous. Entry is typically through an apprenticeship or traineeship approved by ConstructionSkills leading to an NVQ/SVQ in General Construction at Level 3.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 4
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 9.1
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- examines drawings, photographs and specifications to determine job requirements;
- marks and cuts stone using hammers, mallet and hand or pneumatic chisels;
- spreads mortar on foundations and bricks, and places, levels and aligns bricks in mortar bed;
- uses hand and power tools to shape, trim, carve, cut letters in and polish stone;
- levels, aligns and embeds stone in mortar and faces brick, concrete or steel frame with stone to make and repair structures.
Similar O*NET Careers (USA) :
Source Of Info: