5311- STEEL ERECTORS
Steel erector,Steel fabricator,Steel worker (structural engineering)
Steel erectors fit and erect structural metal framework for buildings and other structures such as metal chimneys.
There are no formal academic entry requirements, though GCSEs/S grades are advantageous. Entry is typically through an apprenticeship or traineeship approved by ConstructionSkills and the Engineering Construction Industry Training Board leading to an NVQ/SVQ in General Construction at Level 3.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 6
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 12.3
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- examines drawings and specifications to assess job requirements;
- erects ladders, scaffolding or working cage;
- directs hoisting and positioning of girders and other metal parts and checks alignment;
- arranges for or undertakes bolting and welding of metal parts;
- checks alignment of metal parts using spirit level and plumb-rule.