5245- IT ENGINEERS
Computer repairer,Computer service engineer,Hardware engineer (computer),Maintenance engineer (computer servicing)
IT engineers install, maintain and repair the physical components of computer systems and equipment.
Entry is possible with a variety of academic qualifications and/or relevant experience. Entrants typically possess GCSEs/S grades and A levels/H grades, BTEC/SQA awards, an Advanced GNVQ/ GSVQ Level III or a degree. Training is usually provided on-the-job supplemented by specialised courses. Postgraduate and professional qualifications, and NVQs/SVQs at Levels 2 and 3 are available.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 3
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 7.4
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- installs, tests and maintains computer-related hardware (processors, memory chips, circuit boards, displays, sensors, data storage devices, printers, etc.) according to given specifications;
- diagnoses hardware related faults;
- repairs or replaces defective components;
- advises on and installs operating soft/firm ware and may carry out upgrades;
- maintains documentation to track and log work in progress and completed.
- First-Line Supervisors of Mechanics, Installers, and Repairers
- Radio, Cellular, and Tower Equipment Installers and Repairers
- Radio Mechanics
- Telecommunications Equipment Installers and Repairers, Except Line Installers
- Electronic Home Entertainment Equipment Installers and Repairers
- Telecommunications Line Installers and Repairers