5242- TELECOMMUNICATIONS ENGINEERS
Cable jointer,Customer service engineer (telecommunications),Installation engineer (telecommunications),Network officer (telecommunications),Telecommunications engineer,Telephone engineer
Telecommunications engineers install, maintain and repair public and private telephone systems and maintain, test and repair telecommunications cables.
There are no formal academic requirements, although entrants typically possess GCSEs/S grades or an equivalent qualification. Apprenticeships and traineeships combining work experience and practical training are available at NVQ/SVQ Levels 2 and 3.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 3
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 7.4
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- installs internal cabling and wiring for telephone systems and fits and wires junction and distribution boxes;
- fixes connecting wires from underground and aerial lines to premises and connects cable terminals to inside wiring;
- installs telephones, switchboards and coin operated phone boxes;
- uses testing equipment to locate defective components of circuitry and makes any necessary repairs;
- tests installation and makes any further necessary adjustments;
- assists with the erection of wooden poles or steel towers to carry overhead lines;
- connects cables and tests for any defects;
- locates and repairs faults to lines and ancillary equipment;
- erects and maintains mobile telecommunications infrastructure.
Similar O*NET Careers (USA) :
Source Of Info: