5241- ELECTRICIANS AND ELECTRICAL FITTERS
ELECTRICIANS AND ELECTRICAL FITTERS
Electrical contractor,Electrical engineer,Electrical fitter,Electrician
Electricians and electrical fitters assemble parts in the manufacture of electrical and electronic equipment, and install, maintain, and repair electrical plant, machinery, appliances and wiring.
Academic qualifications may not be required, though some GCSEs/S grades or an equivalent qualification may be an advantage. NVQs/SVQs in Servicing Electronic Systems are available at Levels 1, 2 and 3. Apprenticeships combining practical work experience and technical training are available at Levels 2 and 3. Entrants must have good eyesight and normal colour vision.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 5
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 11.1
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- examines drawings, specifications and wiring diagrams to determine the method and sequence of operations;
- selects, cuts and lays wires and connects to sockets, plugs or terminals by crimping, soldering, brazing or bolting;
- cuts, bends and installs electrical conduit;
- assembles parts and sub-assemblies using hand tools and by brazing, riveting or welding;
- installs electrical plant, machinery and other electrical fixtures and appliances such as fuse boxes, generators, light sockets etc.;
- examines electrical plant or machinery, domestic appliances and other electrical assembly for faults using test equipment and replaces worn parts and faulty wiring.