5237- RAIL AND ROLLING STOCK BUILDERS AND REPAIRERS
RAIL AND ROLLING STOCK BUILDERS AND REPAIRERS
Coach repairer (railways),Mechanical fitter (railway and rolling stock),Railway engineer,Rolling stock technician
Rail and rolling stock builders and repairers erect, fit, assemble and repair rolling stock parts and sub-assemblies, and test and adjust new engines for trains.
Entrants usually possess GCSEs/S grades, a GNVQ/ GSVQ or a BTEC/SQA award. Apprenticeships in Engineering Maintenance at NVQ/SVQ Level 3 are available.
Refer The S/NVQ framework for more details
The simplified NS-SEC analytic class for this code is 5
The simplified NS-SEC operational category for this code is 11.1
Refer The National Statistics Socio-economic Classification for more details
- examines drawings and specifications to determine appropriate methods and sequence of operations;
- fits and assembles parts and/or metal sub-assemblies to make train engines;
- examines rolling stock for defects, removes, replaces and repairs faulty parts;
- inspects and tests new and repaired machinery for conformity with standards and specifications;
- oils and greases train engines;
- maintains record of repairs and maintenance carried out.
- First-Line Supervisors of Mechanics, Installers, and Repairers
- Farm Equipment Mechanics and Service Technicians
- Mobile Heavy Equipment Mechanics, Except Engines
- Rail Car Repairers
- Industrial Machinery Mechanics
- Maintenance Workers, Machinery
- Refractory Materials Repairers, Except Brickmasons
- Wind Turbine Service Technicians